Tuesday, April 26, 2005

New Pope Reveals Unanswered Prayers

Benedict XVI, the new pope, said that he prayed that he would not become the new pope. I find this interesting. Does this mean that the new head of the Catholic church---the one who is supposed to pray for the people---his prayers go unanswered? I might be worried if I was Catholic. But then I only have an admittedly shallow understanding of Catholicism. Maybe they don't believe that the pope is the one who speaks to God for them.

And it could also be a revelation of simple humility. And, besides, Jesus himself asked God to take away the cup. I'm not saying all Catholics are doomed or anything. But I just thought it was ironic that the one who I think is supposed to pray for the people---his prayer went unanswered.

On an unrelated note, I feel sorry for the guy. I've heard that they mainly picked him to be a "transition" pope, hoping that he'll only last a couple years until they can pick a new one for a longer reign. Or something like that. Or maybe that's just speculation. But at an age of 78, the odds may be against him for a long reign anyway.

Edmond the Hun

No comments: