Sunday, April 03, 2005

Bill #3: HB 894

HB 894, filed by Republican representative David Sater, would "allow people to make such health decisions when they renew their drivers licenses. The bill... would allow a person to decide whether they would want a feeding tube and also select a guardian to make health decisions. A person's preference would be indicated on his drivers license."

Now I don't see anything wrong with this proposed law. I've never heard of putting these crucial decisions on a drivers license, but I can't say that it's a bad idea. And while people are "allowed" to do that, I don't see in the wording that they are required to do that. It's like the fast-food version of a living will. If you want to talk about yourself in a vegetative state along with your drivers license, then go right ahead. If you don't want to be forced to come to a decision right then, there's no pressure, either.

(I'm thinking of all the teenagers. "Congratulations, Matt, you passed. Now, if you're in a vegetative state do you want a feeding tube or not?" "What? Huh? Vegetables? Uh, I don't like vegetables...")

I don't like the idea of people being forced to make a decision about something as important as this, and it could encourage trivial or non-thought-out responses ("Come on, Matt." "Uh... okay... um... sure, why not?") But as long as they don't have to make a decision, I don't have a problem with making it easier for people to concretely spell out their wishes.

While I do not pretend to have a complete understanding of HB 894, I currently support it and will tell my representatives so.

Edmond the Hun

No comments: