Saturday, January 29, 2005

Sports: Who to Root For?

One by one, the teams I was rooting for were plucked off, and now I'm left with my two least favorite teams of the original twelve playoff teams: the Eagles and the Patriots. I really don't care about either of them, but it's the Superbowl, so I have to root for someone. But who?

My initial response is the Eagles. They're an NFC team, where most of my favorite teams are, including teams from two cities in which I've lived for several years. And I hate the Patriots. They've already won two Superbowls in the last three years---it's somebody else's turn, don't you think? They broke records for consecutive win streaks. Tom Brady's undefeated in the playoffs. They're just too good! Besides, they beat one of my teams, the Rams! Why root for them?

But the more I think about it, the more I'm leaning toward rooting for the Patriots, much to the chagrin of some of my friends. First, the Patriots play as a team. There's no superstars, and you don't hear much about cocky players and controversy or any of that stuff (see "Sports: More Honorable Quarterbacks" for more). They're a good solid team both on offense and defense. They are a team.

On the other hand, you have the Eagles. I already don't like Terrell Owens because of his haughtiness and cockiness. Then he got injured. But he's not the only hot shot on the team, apparently. Another wide receiver, Freddie Mitchell, recently made fun of the Patriots secondary, saying he only knew their numbers and not their names. Now that's just kinda playful banter or whatnot. But he also said, "I'm a special player. I'd like to thank my hands for being so good."

What? Where's the character in that? T.O. hasn't been able to show off lately, so Freddie fills in for him. I just can't like players who show off and are prideful and selfish about their talents. I can't. Look how dichotomous these two teams are! The Eagles, with two cocky wide receivers, and the Patriots, a good solid team.

I still have a week to make my decision, but I'm leaning toward New England. And there's not really any reason not to root for them---except the emotional ones---"oh, they beat the Rams" "oh, they're too good." But those aren't real reasons. Those are just excuses. I may actually root for the Patriots this Superbowl. And I never thought I'd be saying that.

Edmond the Hun

No comments: