Sunday, January 09, 2005

Correction (Regarding the Failed Jump)

Apparently I need to clarify a few things regarding the 18-year-old who couldn't jump two-and-a-half feet (See "It's an Oddball World 4: Cranially Challenged Teen" - January 3, 2005). First, I think I implied that he got immediately stuck, but I think the article said he fell several stories. So it's possible that the hole he got stuck in wasn't two-and-a-half feet wide.

Secondly, an anonymous commenter asked "does jumping ability have anything to do with intelligence?" Not directly, but indirectly. To exaggerate the point: Whether or not I can jump over a chasm of 20 feet has nothing to do with my intelligence. But whether or not I try to jump 20 feet has a lot to do with my intelligence. If this guy couldn't jump two and a half feet, the fact that he tried says a lot about his intelligence. Does that make more sense?

Edmond the Hun

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

ok, that helps. so now he's just cranially challenged as opposed to also being er, what's the politically correct word for it? weight-challenged? size-challenged? "plus-size"? whatever. thanks for clearing that up.

Anonymous said...

thanks for following up on this story LOL that's still got to be one of the funniest things i've ever heard!!! *rolls on floor laughing* wow...ok. so when we do track, we must all jump at least 2 1/2 feet heehee By the way, don't try that 20 foot jump ~ at least not on top of a building ;D (it would make me sad)^^ -Sanguine