Monday, January 10, 2005

Sports: Moss Misses Maturity

Or, Will the Real Randy Moss Please Grow Up?

The Vikings pulled a surprise upset over the Packers in the NFC wild card game yesterday. Randy Moss caught two touchdown passes. But that wasn't the only kind of upsetting that he did.

In Randy's first couple years in the NFL, he showed a severe lacking in maturity. And I'm not talking your silly simple dance-in-the-end-zone kind of immaturity. I'm talking things like squirting Gatorade at referees. (Correct me if I'm wrong, but I think he ran into someone with his car, too) He was a very good player, but he wasn't the humblest and most likable guy.

Well, we thought maybe there was a chance he was starting to grow up. He had talked about being a leader. He seemed more content when they were winning games, even if he didn't get the ball as much as he may have liked. He didn't squrit any more referees. Maturity?

Not a chance.

In the last regular season game, Moss left the field with two seconds left in the Vikings loss to the lowly Redskins. It's not like they had a chance at pulling off a win anyway, but the point is, he left an ugly, apathetic, resigned image by walking off the field. Everyone made a big deal about it. And he didn't care. In an interview he said something like, "It's what I felt like doing, and I'd do it again." (not an exact quote)

Then in this game against the Packers, after Moss scored his second touchdown, he shook his butt at the crowd and pretended to pull down his pants. Commentator Joe Buck made a big deal out of it, calling it "classless" and a "disgusting act." Granted, it wasn't that big of a deal, especially compared to some football-related antics in recent history, if you know what I mean. But this isn't the kind of thing that we should have to see professional football players doing. Moss said, "I was just very enthused and that's what I felt like doing." (exact quote)

I'm sorry, Randy, but when you're a professional football player in the national football league, with as much talent as you have, with people looking up to you, you're a role model and a leader for people whether you like it or not. You're not entitled to do "whatever you feel like doing." I don't care how good he is. I don't care that he plays for my favorite sports team in the whole wide world. Because of the high position he has earned, he has an obligation to show maturity and be a postive role model.

The number one thing that stops me from liking professional sports players is a prideful, selfish attitude of one's talent (That's why I can't like Terrell Owens). Close behind at number two---immaturity.

There's a reason it's called professional sports. I like the Vikings, Randy, but I just can't like you. Will you please grow up?

Edmond the Hun

No comments: