Monday, July 04, 2005

Sad and Scary: Clinic For Online Addiction

This is so sad and scary...

China is a country that is rapidly catching up to the U.S. in many aspects, from a greater demand for oil (which increases prices for everyone, including us) to their level of technology. And those online video games and chat rooms affect their youth just as much as it does us, if not more.

Apparently, these young people are so addicted that China has opened its "first officially licensed clinic for Internet addiction." In other words, people are spending so much time online that they need help---and they're getting it.

Listening to these kids sounds like they're druggies or drinkers. Read this paragraph from the article:

"In school I didn't pay attention when teachers were talking," one 12-year-old said. "All I could do was think about playing the next game. Playing made me happy, I forgot my problems." He spent four days in an Internet cafe, barely eating or sleeping.

Four days! I'm amazed that someone would be stupid enough to do that! But I know it's not just in China. I'm sure there could be twice as many stories about teenagers in the United States who could use this clinic. It's just so sad that it even has to exist.

People have always wanted to escape. But instead of just drugs and alchohol, now there's the Internet to help you do that. What is this world coming to?

(Source: www.canada.com)

Edmond the Hun

No comments: