Sunday, February 20, 2005

Sports: NASCAR, I Do Not Understand

Football season is over. Baseball season is about to begin. Hockey season was cancelled, and few people really cared anyway. So what's left to watch besides basketball? Oh, yeah, that thing called NASCAR. I think the Daytona 500 was today or something. I don't really know. I don't really care. You know why? I don't understand it at all.

I'm an analytical person, and irrational things confuse and scare me, especially when lots of people don't seem to mind. And NASCAR is definitely falling into the irrational category. This is not like track, where you train to exhaustion to test your strength, speed, and stamina against those of other individuals. This is where you drive a fast car around and around in a circle a couple hundred times.

I don't get it!! Where's the skill? It all depends on luck and the speed of your pit stop crew! How can one driver be better than another? If you ran the same race the next day, the final positions compared to the day before would look like a deck of cards that's been shuffled. Hardly a matter of skill!

And this is a popular sport! People get into this thing! According to Sportscenter, Dale Earnhardt, Jr. is one of the most popular sports figures after Michael Jordan and Tiger Woods---who obviously have or had plenty of skill and talent at their game. But what makes Dale so good? Does he drive his car better than Rusty or Jeff? How? Why? I don't get it!!

If someone understands and can coherently explain where the skill of stock car racing comes in, I will gladly renounce my position and explain to the world how driving around in circles for hours can prove who's the best at driving around in circles. But until that day comes---I just don't get it!!

Edmond the Hun

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Sorry, no words of wisdom for me to offer on this thing. I agree that it's boring *yawn* and the Local Superhero is right in saying that (sadly) the most exciting thing is watching people crash. i suppose it takes some measure of talent to go a couple hundred mph in a tight circle (for the speed) and avoid hitting the 50 odd cars out there ~ it'd be murder on my nerves anyways! So i guess, I think it requires some driving skill. But is it really a sport? Somebody grab a dictionary and check the def. of sport...cuz i'm too lazy right now ;) Anyways, i don't mind all irrational things Edmond (being one myself)^^ so if people wanna spend a few hours watching people go in circles (in the absence of track)^^ that's fine by me. -Sanguine